- Stay Alert! Opening, Lunch-time, and Closing are the high traffic times. Try to watch who is entering and leaving.
- Keep reception areas staffed at all times and lock all office outer doors that are not watched during business hours.
- Be wary of solicitors or suspicious persons. Asking “May I help you?” can deter a potential intruder who does not want to be confronted or identified.
- If you are working late, you should notify security that you are still in the building.
- If you are away for the holidays, have someone pick up your papers & mail.
- If you need to hide house keys for family members, avoid hiding them near any entrance. Be creative rather than use a door mat, mailbox, or flowerpot.
- When no one is home, use light timers set randomly to give the illusion that someone is home. Also, leave a radio on set to talk radio.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Watch for persons following or standing too closely.